Friday, April 22, 2016

Remembering 1971 San Fernando Valley/Sylmar Earthquake

Remembering the: (6AM, Feb. 9th, 1971) in Southern California: San Fernando Valley/Sylmar Earthquake, For Which I Was Present

   Inbox 
Add star 

Dan Everiss

<oregdan@hotmail.com>
Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 1:46 PM

Something which I will  never forget, including all of the many aftershocks....which went on for several months, as I recall.
When the first big shock  hit, just as I was about to get up, a few minutes before 6AM, to prepare to go to work at LA County General Hospital.
I thought my three story and quite old  stucco apartment building, built long before WWII,  would crumble down.
And, I lived on the third floor.
My icon of Our Saviour, Not-Made-By-Hands, in my icon corner, wired to the corner, just clapped against the two moving walls,
 [ as the building was moving in two different directions at the same time], but did not fall down.
Looking out of my French windows, I could see the 'Hollywood' huge sign, overlooking the Hollywood
 district of Los Angeles, and also the many brick chimneys crumbling and swiftly falling off of every roof,
and the sparks from all of the electric transformers on the electric poles.
It was like riding a bucking horse, as I hung on, under a doorway. It was not possible to stand up.



This particular video presentation seems to be a slick politically oriented  after-review,
 intended to make all of the officials look heroic, etc.
Some were indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guest comments MAYBE can be made by email.
joannahigginbotham@runbox.com

Anonymous comments will not be published. Daniel will not see unpublished comments. If you have a message for him, you need to contact him directly.
oregdan@hotmail.com