Friday, June 10, 2016

Readings for the Seventh Sunday of Pascha

General Sharing: Readings for the Seventh Sunday of Pascha,os May 30/June 12: Holy Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council, Tone VI

   Inbox 
Add star 

Dan Everiss

<oregdan@hotmail.com>
Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 11:33 AM



Holy Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council at Nicea, holding the Nicene Creed
 
 
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 02:56:58 +0000
From: ilarionmarr@yahoo.com
Subject: Readings for the Seventh Sunday of Pascha May 30/June 12: Holy Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council, Tone VI

Prayer Before Reading Scripture: 
O Lord Jesus Christ, open Thou the eyes of my heart, that I may hear Thy word and understand and do Thy will, for I am a sojourner upon the earth.  Hide not Thy commandments from me, but open mine eyes, that I may receive the wonders of Thy law.  Speak unto me the hidden and secret things of Thy wisdom.  On Thee do I set my hope, O my God, that Thou shalt enlighten my mind and understanding with the light of Thy knowledge, not only to cherish those things which are written, but to do them; that in reading the lives and sayings of the saints I may not sin, but that such may serve for my restoration, enlightenment and sanctification, for the salvation of my soul, and the inheritance of life everlasting.  For Thou art the enlightenment of those who lie in darkness, and from Thee cometh every good deed and every gift. Amen
Saint John Chrysostom

Troparion, Sixth Tone 
Angelic hosts were above Thy tomb, and they that guarded Thee became as dead.  And Mary stood by the grave seeking Thine immaculate Body.  Thou didst despoil hades and wast not tempted by it.  Thou didst meet the Virgin and didst grant us life.  O Thou Who didst rise from the dead, O Lord, glory be to Thee.  

Troparion of the Holy Fathers, Eighth Tone
Most glorified art Thou, O Christ our God, Who hast established our holy fathers as luminous stars upon the earth, and through them didst guide us all to the true Faith.  O Most merciful One, glory be to Thee. 

Kontakion to the Holy Fathers, Eighth Tone
The preaching of the apostles and the doctrines of the fathers confirmed the one Faith of the Church.  And wearing the garment of truth, woven from the theology on high, She rightly divideth and glorifieth the great mystery of piety.
The Reading is from the Acts of the Apostles: 

20:16-18, 28-36

King James Version (KJV 1611)
16 For Paul had determined to sail by Ephesus, because he would not spend the time in Asia: for he hasted, if it were possible for him, to be at Jerusalem the day of Pentecost.
17 And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the elders of the church.
18 And when they were come to him, he said unto them, Ye know, from the first day that I came into Asia, after what manner I have been with you at all seasons,
+
28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Spirit hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which He hath purchased with His own blood.
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.
32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the Word of His grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.
33 I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel.
34 Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me.
35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how He said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.
36 And when he had thus spoken, he kneeled down, and prayed with them all.
The Holy Gospel according to:

Saint John 17:1-13

King James Version (KJV 1611)

17 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify Thy Son, that Thy Son also may glorify Thee:
As Thou hast given Him power over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as Thou hast given Him.
And this is life eternal, that they might know Thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom Thou hast sent.
I have glorified Thee on the earth: I have finished the work which Thou gavest Me to do.
And now, O Father, glorify Thou Me with Thine own self with the glory which I had with Thee before the world was.
I have manifested Thy name unto the men which Thou gavest Me out of the world: Thine they were, and Thou gavest them Me; and they have kept Thy Word.
Now they have known that all things whatsoever Thou hast given Me are of Thee.
For I have given unto them the words which Thou gavest Me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from Thee, and they have believed that Thou didst send Me.
I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which Thou hast given Me; for they are Thine.
10 And all Mine are Thine, and Thine are Mine; and I am glorified in them.
11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through Thine own name those whom Thou hast given Me, that they may be one, as we are.
12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Thy name: those that Thou gavest Me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
13 And now come I to Thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have My joy fulfilled in themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guest comments MAYBE can be made by email.
joannahigginbotham@runbox.com

Anonymous comments will not be published. Daniel will not see unpublished comments. If you have a message for him, you need to contact him directly.
oregdan@hotmail.com