Tuesday, November 29, 2016

On Fasting

Plus A General Re-sharing: Two Separate Articles: "On Fasting" –by St. Paisius Velichkovsky, and "The Lord has Created Me" from St. John of Kronstadt

   Inbox 
Add star 

Dan Everiss

<oregdan@hotmail.com>
Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 12:06 PM

On Fasting
St. Paisius Velichkovsky

On Fasting - Orthodox Christian Information Center

orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/stpaisy_fast.aspx
The third virtue is fasting. Fasting I call the eating of a ... Fasting once having entered into the soul, kills to the depths the sin which lies therein. Ch. VIII from Field ...

===============================
From my Life in Christ, by St. John of Kronstadt


The Lord has created me, and has brought me from nonentity into being, and after I had fallen, hast restored me through His sufferings and death; He has cleansed me, a sinner, has made me His son by adoption; He has promised me the inheritance of eternal bliss; He has enlightened me through the light of His Gospel; He punishes and forgives me like a father; He lights me with the sun; He gives me daily food and drink; and above all he gives me His sweetest and life-giving food - His Body and Blood; He has diffused air for me to breathe, and above all He has poured upon me His Holy Spirit. He clothes me in beauteous garments; above all, he inwardly clothes me with Himself, as it is said: “For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ” [Galatians 3:27]. He gives me rest in a spacious and clean dwelling, and promises me an eternal, resplendent abode in the heavens; he endows me with health: above all, he gives me spiritual health in abundance, through prayer and especially through the Holy Sacraments and other means. What shall I render to Him for all this? What can I do for Him in return? I cannot do anything, except to be faithful to Him with all my might, through fulfilling His Commandments and by offering a firm and unchanging resistance to sin and the Devil.

My Life in Christ, St. John of Kronstadt, page 154

My Life in Christ: Or Moments of Spiritual Serenity and ...

https://books.google.com/books?id=g08rAAAAYAAJ
Saint John (of Kronstadt) - 1897 - ‎Devotional literature
The Lord has created mehas brought me from nonentity into being, and after I had ... and by offering a firm and unchanging resistance to sin and the Devil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guest comments MAYBE can be made by email.
joannahigginbotham@runbox.com

Anonymous comments will not be published. Daniel will not see unpublished comments. If you have a message for him, you need to contact him directly.
oregdan@hotmail.com